Friday, 27 December 2013

FMTSO: Holiday Traditions

 CIMG8154-001CIMG8153-001

One of the holiday traditions in Sweden is to put up extra lights in almost every window. Electric candlesticks in a variety of sizes and shapes, and/or stars. It’s also common to put a wreath or other decoration on your front door:

CIMG8155-001

I took these photos today on my walk to/from the supermarket. The stone building is an old factory; the yellow wooden house was once upon a time the residence of the managing director. Nowadays both buildings have been converted into offices.

CIMG8158-001

Snow for Christmas is something we can’t make a tradition of in this part of Sweden, even if it does belong in our mind’s image of how it “should” be. This year we had a mild, stormy and rainy Christmas; with the water level in the river rising very high.

Friday My Town Shoot Out – Holiday Traditions

6 comments:

  1. Always love taking a peak into your city. Some wonderful photos there.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of lighting up every window. I think it is more effective ( and less work!) than stringing lights every where outside. I might just try that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have electric candles in all my windows. Love this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your city is beautiful in all seasons but especially beautiful with the lit up windows, love that tradition. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, like the idea of lights in the windows. It seems very welcoming. It would, however, be pointless for me because no one can see The Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite by far is the glorious first picture of the stone buildings with the wonderful windows!!! I am also glad you have been able to get out and about this year, no heavy snow for Christmas. None for us yet either. The days have been almost 70 and the nights in the 20's, and that is weird. NOT that I'm complaining.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands