Friday, 14 June 2013

Who’s Counting, Anyway? (FMTSO)

Friday My Town Shoot Out theme this week is “Odd Rule”.
I’m familiar with the rule of odds in composition, since like forever (art classes?) …

The "rule of odds" suggests that an odd number of subjects in an image is more interesting than an even number.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_%28visual_arts%29#Rule_of_odds

Going back through my pictures from the last month or so, however, they seem to be dominated by “lots and lots” rather than anything else… It’s that time of year! 

… Lots and lots of flowers in bloom ….

CIMG4478-001

… and lots and lots of people enjoying it all …

CIMG4800-001

CIMG4796-002

If I sometimes manage to apply the rule of odds anyway in these situations, it’s usually either half subconsciously, or by lucky chance, or in editing afterwards.

CIMG4502-001

In this picture there are three thicker poles in the railing on the bridge. There’s definitely just one girl. The question is, can you tell in a glance how many birds there are? When I first tried to count them, I saw nine (five ducks, three pigeons and one gull). Then I had a closer look, and I think there are eleven (still five mallards, but four pigeons and two gulls). Never mind… In the original photo there were at least two more birds, some unidentified thingys and one grandfather with his head cut off! (By my camera, perhaps I should add. No bloodshed!)

Friday My Town Shoot Out – Odd Rule

9 comments:

  1. I don't follow these photos for days things. The last image is brilliant. Could do with being a touch sharper but grand it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't, Adrian ;) I think maybe themes are more helpful for many of us who stay in one place most of the time and don't have the frequent change of scenery as challenge. The last image in this post was zoomed in from a distance with my little camera and then cropped a bit further in editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first photo is brilliant, then the three children scatting and then the last - the slight blurring adds a sense of summer time to it. good photo considering the camera and the depth you were shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not for nothing but as much as I loved the last one -i love that you kept the great poles patterns in the shot -I really liked the one of the three children the best. If you look closely you can see there are three adults sitting just opposite them. It keeps the odd rule because the shot is clearly of the three children but the adults add quite a bit of interest if you ask me. Opposite in placement and in age...almost a forshadowing, or a looking backwards perhaps amidst all those other folks. So...you see...you have captured something for every one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All lovely shots. But I think I'll choose the last as my favourite. I like the subtle thickness of the bridge railings. Or perhaps the children with the three adults opposite? Hmmm. I'll have to think about this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of the photos are lovely, those flowers are so beautiful, such a great colour.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. What ARE these awesome orange bells? LOVE!!!! I also love the little girl in blue feeding the ducks! OH LOOK!!! I see her baby doll laying down watching! My count on the ducks is....too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the third picture of the 3 kids sitting down watching the others on chairs. A perfect contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the odds don't matter in these photos, they are all simply beautiful and capture daily life in your town. love the ones of the children.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands