Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Ruby Tuesday: Frosty Red

CIMG5591

I think these are Hylotelephium telephium. Swedish name ‘kärleksört’ which means ‘love herb’. I saw them in a garden I passed a couple of weeks ago on a frosty morning. (So the white on them is frost.)

CIMG5589

The plant is said to have been used to heal wounds, especially burns. The roots can be eaten, preferably cooked for about 15 minutes first. The fresh leaves can be be eaten raw, and are rich in vitamin C. (And of course I had no idea about any of this until I just looked it up… Blogging is very educational!)

See more RED at Ruby Tuesday

 

10 comments:

  1. Red and white is always a beautiful combination! Amazing all these medicinal qualities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful and useful. our aloe plant is good for cuts and burns and things that itch, but it is not beautiful. can you grow aloe in Sweden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful and useful. our aloe plant is good for cuts and burns and things that itch, but it is not beautiful. can you grow aloe in Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they are lovely covered in frost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gush I thought the white is part of the flower. That is so pretty!

    Glass Ornaments

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots. Happy RT!

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you shared that knowledge with us :-)
    That herb might come in useful ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen or heard of this plant. My, what beautiful images. It really looks like white buds, not frost, a trick of the eye. I just caught up with your post from yesterday, amazing pics. You are the Frost Queen, so when I say that you are very frosty, I mean it in a good way! In yesterday's post, the flower on the top left looks just like a globe thistle, only they are light blue. Perhaps it is a Christmas Thistle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like corals..cool!

    Visiting for Ruby Tuesday~ hope you can visit me too:)

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2011/11/pop-the-pig-game.html

    http://www.loveablecassandra.com/2011/11/red-tea-set.html

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands