Friday, 20 April 2012

Friday My Town: Rule of Thirds

CIMG1837

I’ve been more or less stuck indoors for weeks now and am tired of the winter season, so I decided to go back to some pictures from last summer for this theme. Not that I was deliberately trying to apply the rule of thirds when I took them (not sure I’d ever heard of it except keeping the horizontal line at either 1/3 or 2/3 rather than in the middle) but I guess it’s kind of a compositinal instinct.

 

image

Rule of Thirds:  a compositional tool that places the subject of the photo  in an area of intersecting lines created by dividing the photo in 3rds horizontally and vertically.

 

All the photos in this post are from the countryside outside my town, the village where my father was born and raised, and where my parents moved back to live in their retirement years, and are now buried in the churchyard.

The photos are all from the same day, 21 July 2011.
(They’re all straight from the camera just as I took them.)

 

CIMG1781

CIMG1786

CIMG1788

CIMG1790

CIMG1802

CIMG1801

 CIMG1850

 CIMG1870

▲ Old cottages cared for by the local history society. ▼

CIMG1867

See what others make of the ‘The Rule of Thirds’ at
Friday My Town Shoot Out

14 comments:

  1. your archive was perfect for the thirds thing. beautiful. and the country side is so lovely. i like that church with the cemetery, great photo and the place is wonderful. really beautiful, all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you must have just instinctively done it! These all 'work' with the Rule of Thirds. I think the first one is a great example. You lined the fence post up just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last two pictures clearly show the power of moving the focus off-center. Wonderful to see your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know enough about photography but I love all these shots. After this theme and I can study your photos and now I have it. Great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that church yard shot and agree with B&B on those last two. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling that you must naturally compose your photos with the thirds rule as they seem so natural and not "staged" at all. Your first photo is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the beautiful old church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Favorites are one, four, and the graveyard, those pictures are just beautiful!!!! The rule of thirds confounds me, i have enough trouble just focusing on what I want and getting it in focus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that graveyard with the church shot, you framed it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely landscape you have around you. Your 1st shot is straight out of the textbook for this theme, and it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful lush green scenery. I love the shot of the church and cemetary. I also like the old cottage. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think thr fence is my favourite - there's something about fences that always attracts me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm captivated by the first shot of the fence post. It's a powerful example of how much impact is added by applying the thirds rule. The countryside shots are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes I would say you instinctively use the rule and my greatest joy is to take a photo that needs no editing - cropping or lite. love the first shot - that is for framing.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands