Friday, 25 January 2013

Money, Money, Money (Friday My Town)

A money post of mine from 2010 repeated,
with a follow-up, for
Friday My Town Shoot Out.

DSCN8562-2

Originally posted on Soaring Through The World, September 12, 2010:

I wonder how many millions ABBA have made since 1976?

Sweden, though member of the European Union, does not use the Euro, but the currency krona (pl. kronor) (SEK). It is sometimes informally referred to in English as the "Swedish crown" (krona literally means crown). The picture on the 1 krona coin (above) is of our King Carl XVI Gustaf.

1 American Dollar ~ 7,20 SEK
1 British Pound ~ 11,20 SEK
1 Euro ~ 9,20 SEK

 

In January 2013, I ask myself what, if anything, has changed on the money front in the last 2½ years?

Apparently the Swedish economy has grown stronger.
These are today’s figures (25 January, 2013):

1 American dollar ~ 6,48 SEK
1 British pound ~ 10,23 SEK
1 Euro ~ 8,68 SEK              

 

In October 2010 we got rid of the last of the ‘öre’ coins.

DSCN8541-1

Back in my childhood, in the 1950’s, there were 1, 2, 5, 10, 25 and 50 öre coins.

There were also 5 kronor bills back then.
I still have one saved from the year I was born:

CIMG2990-001

Our smallest bill nowadays is 20 kronor. It’s nicknamed a “Selma” because on the front it shows the Swedish author Selma Lagerlöf, winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1909.

DSCN8577

One of her most famous books is ‘The Wonderful Adventures of Nils’, a boy who shrank to the size of little gnome and flew on a goose from the south of Sweden to the North, seeing the whole country:

DSCN8572

Today, however, even if you happen to have your wallet full of 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1000 kronor bills, it may not get you where you want to go. In many places, my town and area included, it is no longer to possible to pay cash on the bus. You may have your pockets full of coins and bills, but without a valid plastic card you have to walk.

2013-01-026

 

 


 

12 comments:

  1. I love the photos on your paper money. I am glad your economy has grown stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the first photo and missed it back in 2010 somehow. and i love the pig with the cards. i use plastic 100 percent of the time, it is rare to use cash of any kind.... and your money is so much more attractive than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures of money are lovely. The first and the last are my favorites. The pink card with the coins is pretty, I would not be able to spend it, I would have to save it and show it off somewhere. I have even saved all the stamps from things you have sent me. Your money is so much prettier than ours, it has a real sense of art. And why can't money be pretty, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Selma is so pretty - much nicer than American dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know much about our monetary system anymore, as someone pointed out our Gold Standard has gone Kaput. I too use mostly cards. Had to borrow bills from Hubby who is not a plastic man. I think we should move to Sweden. Our bills have only presidents on them. What does that say about us?
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to do a blog about English money a few weeks back and was amazed to find that when I tried scanning in a five pound note the scanner gave a message saying it wouldn't do it! I almost expected a visit from the Police!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tested if my scanner has anything to say about it... As it was a photography challenge in the first place, I used my camera! :)

      Delete
  7. By the way, I should have said - that was a most interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did brilliantly to make this such an interesting post. I like that each of your notes is quite different! And that last image is a cracker, clever you to come up with that composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline. I did come to realize when I contemplated this topic, that things have changed even in the last couple of years. I use cards a lot more now, and less cash.

      Delete
  9. Do you have to have a bank card to travel on a bus or can you buy pre-paid transport cards? To be a person from a country outside Sweden using a credit/debit card for a bus journey would be exceptionally expensive given the minimum transaction commission most cards charge on foreign currency transactions. A very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can use both pre-paid transport cards and bank cards. The best thing (and cheaper) is usually to buy a pre-paid transport card, there is usually a variety to choose from. In the bigger cities there may also be special tourist cards including both bus fares and entrance to a few museums or things like that. I always use a pre-paid card, the problem arises if one has left one's wallet at home, for example. Having some coins in one's pocket is of no help; nor can one borrow just the cash for one ticket from someone. It's not happened to me yet but I've seen it happen to others.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands