Friday, 29 June 2012

Friday My Town: Pictures that Tell a Story

CIMG9113-002

Friday Thursday My Town – “Waiting for Loreen”

CIMG9114-002

CIMG9115-002

An ordinary Summer Thursday in my town!

No, I’m not kidding; even if this Thursday probably set a new attendance record. Ever since 1989, Thursday nights from late June to early August mean free public concerts with nationally more-or-less-famous artists in the town square; and the shops keeping open until the main concert starts at 9 p.m.

This year the organizers struck gold when back in winter they booked the singer Loreen for the first summer concert this year. As it turned out, she won the Eurovision Song Contest 2012 – see music video at YouTube – and suddenly got a lot more famous than she was before that!

---

▲ My own photos above ▲ were taken about 1½ hours before the main concert. Actually, since I’m not really too keen on standing around in a crowd of around 25.000 people listening to extremely loud music – I did not stay for the concert.

Even if I had stayed, there is no way I’d have been able to get shots like these two below (making an exception here from my policy of only posting my own photos on this blog):

▼ Photos from www.bt.se

photo from bt.se

 

photo from bt.se

 

Go to Friday My Town Shoot Out to see what story-telling photos other members have found!

9 comments:

  1. no wonder they were all waiting, she has a beautiful voice, i am listening to her on youtube while i type. have not heard of her, but that is not strange since we don't listen to very much music. she is very talented. that is a very large crowd and me to on not standing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Do you ever stay for the concert? What nationality is Loreen, is she from there? I have never heard of her, but I have heard this song I really like it. My, she is really a dramatic performer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loreen is Swedish, her parents came from Morocco though, according to Wikipedia. I never heard of her until the recent Eurovision Song Contest either - and I didn't even watch that on TV. Have to confess I don't really keep up much with contemporary music.

      Delete
  3. Lots of culture, nice. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon,pa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a crowd!! That is quite a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Dawn Treader
    Me neither, I don’t know much about contemporary music. I listened to Utube. Wow, she has an amazing voice!! I like this song!!
    Does your town have mounted police officers? How nice! I have not seen horses except in the processions of festivals. Your photos well convey me merry atmosphere!
    Have a wonderful week.
    keiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keiko, we have mounted police only at the big public events and I don't think I've ever seen more than two of them. But I guess it helps keep things in order both since they get a better view of things going on in the crowd + people can also see them.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure what I think of this idea. I can see it would be great for local businesses, and for putting the town on the map, and I expect many people are delighted to have something to do on a weekday evening. But what about the people who live there? I know that it would drive me, for one, absolutely NUTS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the buildings immediately surrounding the square are mostly shops and offices. But I agree. I'd go nuts too on days like this, if I lived in the actual town centre. As it is, I live about 20 minutes walk from there, and at home I hear nothing of it. I don't think I ever stayed for the late concert. This Thursday happened to be a particularly nice evening for a walk though and curiosity made me go and check out the atmosphere a couple of hours before the main event. So I went into town specifically for that purpose, with the camera. Had my intention been to pass through town for some other purpose - then it would have driven me nuts!!!

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands