Thursday, 19 January 2012

Friday My Town – Glass

FMTSO 03 Glass

Glassware from a 1970’s Design Exhibition at the Textile Museum
(February 2011)

DSCN4441 c2-1

“Glasmästeri” = Glasscutter’s Workshop (January 2010)

CIMG6618-1

My New Year’s Eve table 2011. I don’t have a whole lot of ‘fine’ glassware and china, but I do have these (six) glasses, which I only use on festive occasions. They were my mother’s - maybe even her mother’s, I’m not sure. Mum passed these on to me about twenty years ago because she also had a set of similar ones after my other grandma.

 

CIMG6911-2

The “snowball” candle holder (for tealights) is a very popular model from the Swedish glassworks Kosta Boda. (Designed in 1973 by Ann Wärff; I think I’ve also had mine since back in the mid 70s.) The origin of the other candle holders I’m not sure of.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I thought this table was a fancy exhibit at the textile museum!!! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am generally a pretty simple person - but I love a well set table, I think the food just tastes better when the table is beautiful. the photo of the glass blowers building looks like a post card. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like glassware. The workshop is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the workshop photo is a beauty, it looks like a painting! Also like the way you captured the last shot, it looks so soft and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will like to work as an apprentice and make those colored items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the rich colors of glass in the first shots. And the Glassmaker building is pretty neat too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colors, great memories of family glass -- and probably the only shot I've ever seen of a glassmaster's workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love glass that sparkles and these are beautiful all of these photo. i like the windows in the first glass shop and your glasses are beautiful as is your table for New Years. great glass post, makes me happy to look at each one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can echo Sandra. As I looked at each photo I had to stop and enjoy. This was a great post. I particularly love the barn. I love to paint barns. The holiday table was one of my favorites too.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your New Year's Eve table looks wonderfully festive! And I LOVE the coloured glass in your top mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the vibrant colors in the first photo and the glass makers building is superb. It really does look like a postcard. Your table setting is quite beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the glassware exhibit and the kosta boda too!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands