Friday, 7 September 2012

Friday My Town: Shallow Depth of Field

CIMG0168-001

A new butterfly friend I found in a wetland meadow near the lake outside town some weeks ago.

In Swedish there is one name covering a number of look-alike butterflies (‘pärlemorfjäril’ = ‘mother of pearl butterfly’). In English/Latin it turned out to be a little more complicated… I think it is probably a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria selene). (Feel free to correct me if you think I’m wrong!)

We haven’t had much of a butterfly summer this year, but here’s another one – the Common Brimstone:

CIMG0139-001

Have to confess I’ve not had much luck with the shallow depth of field thing except when zooming in on small things, like insects and flowers. So I think for this post I shall stick to “field” rather than “town”…

CIMG0134-001

Thistle

 

CIMG0437-001

 Haven’t got a clue what the flower is called.

 

CIMG0568-001

Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera / jättebalsamin)

8 comments:

  1. I have tried and tried and TRIED to get butterfly shots and never have been successful - so GOOD job. we also have a variety here in the forest but they are usually one color, blue / white or light yellow - they move fast and never seem to lite anywhere.
    loved the bit of language (other than English) I like to see if I can figure out the word by breaking into components - the scandanavian languages are the hardest for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on these. I agree I can only do the up close things.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the butterfly and flowers , they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the new butterfly pic is my favorite, although i love the purple flowers. i have not seen a butterfly like that one and the whole photos looks mystical to me. i have not tried the shallow depth of field except in macro zoom, maybe i should. i read in my book that we should put an object or a person, closer to the back ground, or further from to mess with the depth of field. now i will have to try it and see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butterfly shots are so difficult because they don't stand still. "Okey, now. Hold it. Smile. Say Cheese."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the butterflies. The last flower looks like it has an open mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I love your butterflies, I've got give you props for that stunning thistle photo for using shallow depth of field remarkably well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Cheryl, the butterflies are lovely but the thistle shot is shallow depth of field perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands