Thursday, 19 July 2012

Friday My Town: Public Art

DSC_0338

DSC_0337

This mural in central town was painted by graffiti artist Shai Dahan especially for this year’s Sculpture Biennal.

A Dalecarlian horse (Swedish: Dalahäst) is a traditional carved wooden horse from the Swedish province of Dalarna, decorated in the kurbits style (a kind of folk art from that part of the country). It has become not only a symbol for Dalarna but for Sweden in general; it is a very typical souvenir for tourists to bring back home.

The mural is just so not how we are used to seeing the sturdy carved wooden horses. I find the mix of Dalecarlian horse and ‘Wild West’ quite amusing. Here is my own wooden horse to compare with; standing steadily on its four legs, without even a hint of movement:

CIMG2513

To see them galloping about in Shai Dahan’s paintings really messes with the mind!

Friday My Town Shoot Out – Public Art

- - -

PS. In case anyone gets a Deja Vú feeling here and feels spooked by that …
I did have a
similar post on my other blog last August. ;)

11 comments:

  1. Wow love these mural so beautiful!


    Kim, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love horses any style or in any medium. Very interesting info.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, I really like the musculature of the newer version, although my ancestery comes from that area as well. Having traveled through Wyoming recenty, where the wild horses roam, this connects for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artistic license at work! The little wooden horse would make a great souvenir but it's nice to see them running free, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that exactly what art is about? Messing with the mind and forcing us to think differently? Very interesting post, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. The history of the Swedish horse helps understanding. I like that the artist changed it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Giddy-up! In the first picture, I'll bet that woman coming around the corner doesn't know she's about to be trampled! Great mural.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this - how you show the traditional versus 'new age' is great. the traditional is very naive art and I am a fan of the genre. Mark is right about the power of the movement in the new age version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the first shot of the mural. It looks like the horses are about to gallop into town! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great mural. What a colorful addition to the townscape.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands