Saturday, 23 April 2011

The King’s Tomb

DSCN3127-1

“Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark,
Mary of Magdala went to the tomb and saw that
the stone had been removed from the entrance…”
~ John 20:1 ~

DSCN3129-1

DSCN3126-1

This is a late Neolithic cist tomb from around 1800-1500 B.C.
In local folklore it is known as The King’s Tomb.
An old legend says that a king was buried here,
on the spot where he died. But one day he shall rise again
from his grave, rejuvenated,
and will return to help the people in a time of need;
accompanied by his twelve warriors.

~ ~ ~

I have blogged about this tomb and story before, but it was long ago.
We happened to be passing by the place again on Good Friday.

~ ~ ~

Linking to Shadow Shot Sunday

13 comments:

  1. Such wonderful, fascinating captures and equally fascinating history! Great shadows for the day! Hope you have a very Happy and Blessed Easter!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is perfect for this week end and really different. i like all the shots of it and it amazes me. so old and really fasinating

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very appropriate choice for the Easter theme. It looks a very evocative place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sense of sacred mystery in this quiet place! Beautiful in monochrome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. S0 fitting for Good Friday. Every year Holy Week sends a wave of awe over me for all that transpired at the Last Supper, Jesus' prayers at Gethsemane, the so-called trial, and all that ensued up to the Crucifixion. Then the triumphant resurrection. Praise be to Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, so is it empty now? Don't think I've ever seen one like that. Hope you have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful!
    Wishing you all a blessed and happy Easter, full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That legend is very similar to the Arthurian legend in the UK. There is a cave hidden in the woodland at Alderley Edge in Cheshire where King Arthur and his Knights lie in deep sleep, ready to be awakened by the wizard Merlin in the hour of England's direst need. Amazing how these legends end up to be so similar isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica, this is a good set, Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting that this is a king's tomb and that he had 12 warriors! I wish you a joyous Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. George: Yes I made that reflection myself too. The legend must be of much younger date than the tomb. So I do suspect the legend has borrowed ingredients both from the Arthurian tales and directly from the gospels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my....I've been visiting others with SSS, but I must say I believe this is MOST interesting so far.

    My Sunday post link:

    Kokopelli Shadow

    Have a glorious day!!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands