Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Ruby Tuesday: Swedish ‘Moulin Rouge’

DSCN2581

 

DSCN2585-1

Many old cinema theatres in Sweden were named after the famous Moulin Rouge in Paris: ‘Röda Kvarn’ = ‘The Red Mill’. The two photos above were taken recently. I also include a couple from last summer to show you all four sides of the building (block). The close-up of the windmill decoration is cropped from the photo below that one.

DSCN7237-2

DSCN7237-1

DSCN6282-1

The cinema was built in 1914 and in 1998 it was declared an historically notable building to be preserved for the future. It is still in use as a cinema and theatre, run by the town. They show films for school classes for example, or just a few public shows of films of cultural interest which the commercial cinemas don’t find profitable enough.

Here’s a link to a Swedish Wikipedia article, if you know Swedish, or if you’d just like to take a peek at the interior pictures. I have to confess I haven’t been inside the building for years.

♥ ♥ ♥

For more RED visit Ruby Tuesday.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting building. And there is the sunken man again, he is so strange yet serene and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art Deco at it's best. I really admire the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful building. I like how when I scroll up and down your post quickly, your angled photos turn into a film roll. (And I've only had half a glass of wine, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what beautiful buildings. The sunken man is so strange. I've never seen anything like that. It does make me wonder what is going on with him under the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to read that it's now an historical building. All too often in our country [USA] they deem it necessary to tear down the beautiful and replace with such ugly modern architecture.

    Great photos.


    My Ruby Link:
    Cute Easter Egg Cup

    Do stop by to say hello. Have a super day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have taken this to be a theatre by looking at the outside. It is a beautiful building - I would go to a movie there, just to get a peek inside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the classic look from each angle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful old building, i love the architecture. i recognize the statue, i have seen him in all seasons, he still fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a very, very interesting story, "Moulin Rouge" in Sweden. I have seen the old movie titled ,"Moulin Rouge" story about famous painter. This building is graceful and the inside is amazingly elegant!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there is so much beauty in these shots
    the amazing sky
    the way the windows seem open to the other side in the top shot
    the reflection in the pool with the flowers

    amazing place
    exceptional photos

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands