Friday, 18 March 2011

Friday My Town – St Patrick’s Day

Friday My Town Shoot Out

We do not celebrate St Patrick’s Day in Sweden. Actually I have to confess that I was not aware until recently that it was celebrated anywhere but in Ireland!

So what can I bring to the table? Clover is a common plant here too in the summers – both white and red. I’m not sure if our white clover would be considered identical with the Irish shamrock or not. In my own photo archives I only managed to find the red variety.

I know that the legend says St Patrick made use of the three-leaved shamrock to teach the Irish about the Holy Trinity. Here we consider it lucky if we happen to find a rare four-leaf clover among the three-leaved ones. Now this time of year it’s hard enough to even find a bit of green at all… But one day I happened to come upon a four-winged green butterfly sitting on the ground. Made of plastic, but even so… Surely that must be lucky! Well, perhaps not for whoever dropped it, I suppose… But for me it served as a sort of reminder that eventually spring will come…

Indoors I have an Oxalis plant which is also called Purple Shamrock.
I also have this nice jar with a pattern of red clover:

DSCN2428

“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
The foresight to know where you are going,
And the insight to know when you have gone too far.”

(An Irish Blessing)

♣ ♣ ♣

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

♣ ♣ ♣

Friday My Town Shoot Out

16 comments:

  1. perfect in my book, beautiful and green. love the blessing at the end, and that planter is really pretty. USA is big on st pat day, but I am not, even though my dad's side of the family came from Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and unusual pictures. Did you take the butterfly? Yes, here we also hunt for four leaf clovers, and I have never found one. When you find one, people often press them in a book. They are considered to be very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't pick up the butterfly, no. A photo of it was enough for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think St Patrick's Day is celebrated even more in the US than in Ireland itself; it's a big day for the millions of Irish Americans who actually now outnumber the population of Ireland.
    It was a good idea to look for shamrocks, and you have two wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the USA being a melting pot and NEW York being the center for imigration of large groups of Iris in the 1800s, just about every town in the USA enjoys St Pat's day.
    In Brasil NO irish celebrations that I am aware of, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well to not celebrate a feast day you did good to make a nice layout for your post. I love that particular quote. Good job gal.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. heheheh,

    You growing my weed?
    You want to come here and weed my garden?

    Clover, shamrock and oxilis, they are all weeds in my neglected garden. Maybe I should go and weed and then I find a 4 leaf one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a real celebration of green. And I admire how you got great shots about something you knew nothing about. Seems to me you are a fast learner, not to mention talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Pauline. Nothing like a nice bit of flattery to brighten a dull morning! ;) Actually I did know about St Patrick and the shamrock since before; long having been fascinated with British and Celtic folklore etc. Love Irish music too. It's the American celebrations of the day that have somehow managed to escape me. Parades, green bagels and dyeing whole rivers green and whatnot...! How come none of that ever sneaked its way into any of the American sitcoms I've watched through the years?! (= main source of information about contemporary American traditions, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL I didn't know they didn't celebrate everywhere..but then that makes sense!! What stunning shots hon!! Beautiful shootout! You did a wonderful job!
    Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job for not celebrating it! I like the purple clover. and thanks for the Irish blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading all the posts this week, I have to say the Irish sure know how to write a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the clover shot, and 4 leaf clovers are considered lucky here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love all the Irish blessings and saying everyone is posting. you don't have to be Irish to show us your green!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen white or red clover before, they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful photo of clover. It really pops.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands