Thursday, 5 May 2011

Friday My Town – Celebrations

DSCN3367

Today’s FMTSO themes are Cinco de Mayo and Mother’s Day. I don’t celebrate either of them! * What we do celebrate here in Sweden is the 30th of April – Walpurgis Night – and the 1st of May – Labour Day. On Monday this week at my other blog, Beyond the Lone Islands, I had a post about a students’ parade on Walpurgis Night. The photo above is from watching people starting to gather.

DSCN3374-1

We had an unusually warm and sunny end of April. The first week of May has been rather chilly though (back to winter jacket again), so after the first sudden explosion of greens and colours, things have been slowing down a bit. Just as well perhaps from some points of view…

DSCN3287

Birch trees (along a driveway through a cemetery)

DSCN3235-1

Just looking at these makes my nose tickle!

---

* PS. We do have a Mother’s Day, but not this week! Ours is the last Sunday in May.

14 comments:

  1. wow on all the trees, especailly the birch, these are magnificent to me. so happy to see you have GREEN in your trees and not snow. i did not even know what Cinco de mayo was until last year. i will not do a post tomorrow on either subject. will do my old friday phun. see ou thn

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great pictures! LOOK at the camera lens that man in the blue shirt has!! The birches, so beautiful!!! The trunks look like birch, and the leaves like weeping willow!! Maybe weeping birch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what great photos. Good photos for celebrations.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, makes my nose tickle too. Walpurgis Night sounds very interesting. I love to know more. I guess I'll Google it. I like the crowds beginning to gather -- it has a sense of something about to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Birch avenue is a beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of Cinco De Mayo before but we're celebrating Mother's Day this Sunday. But I think it's has became too commercialized where every stores /eateries are promoting their wares in the advertisements . The best mother's day gift is not measurable in money, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you sing the Canadian song" Land of he silver birch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the picture of the trees, just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your second and third photos take my breath away. the birch trees in the USA - Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania are loosing their birches to a bug brought in from China (or such) on the shipping paletts. is a terrrible trajedy. Love to see them preserved in photo. I also felt a moment of 'lens' envy when I saw the guy up on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, love the avenue shot. Trees signify life to me and that's what motherhood is all about, so I think that is a fab shot for the topic. Also love the last shot - what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed that your trees were so green on April 30th! It's beautiful there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Walpurgis Night - hmmm, it's fun to learn about other's traditions. Your photos are always so lovely. Have a great weekend! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pauline, the last picture is of birch catkins. Birch pollen is a very common source of allergy here this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. celebrations and parties are always fun! love the shot of the birch trees. lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands