Saturday, 7 May 2011

Orange Tip Butterfly

DSCN3430-1

DSCN3431-1

DSCN3432-1

DSCN3425-1    DSCN3426-1

Orange Tip – Anthocharis cardamines – Aurorafjäril

These photos are rather blurry and heavily cropped, but I decided to post them anyway, because it is the first time I’ve ever seen this butterfly! It was very small and it didn’t let me get close enough for a proper macro shot. With its wings folded it became almost invisible. When I saw it I didn’t have clue what it might be, but I managed to find it on the internet when I got back home.

 

 

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the delete, I really shouldn't comment this late at night. What I meant to say was I have never seen this type of butterfly before, he is a really beauty. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't recall seeing this type of butterfly either. Thanks for sharing him.

    Darryl and Ruth : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange-tips are quite hard to photograph. The males (with the orange tips) always rest with the wings closed. The females have black and white upper surfaces to the wings - no orange - but have the same cryptic green and white underwing colouration. They are very common here in the UK in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. butterflies and birds are hard for me to capture. I am not quick enough I guess. he is unusual looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am glad you posted him, he is amazing. i have not seen one like this either. our yard is filling up with butterflies now, 4 of our 6 different kind have shown up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beauty! Never seen one here.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands