Saturday, 3 September 2011

For A Moment

CIMG3235-1

For a moment today in my ‘butterfly park’, not one but two butterflies decided (at the same time) to rest for a while on my shoulder (upper arm): One Red Admiral and one Small Tortoiseshell. In fact, I think at least the Admiral was the very same specimen as in the photo above. (The Tortoiseshells were so many today I could not keep count of them.)

I’m pretty sure they cannot have take me for a flower, since I was wearing a plain grey jacket! I guess I’ll never know what they were thinking… But it was a rather awesome experience and it reminded me of this ‘Irish blessing’ that I read recently:

May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
And find your shoulder to light on
To bring you luck, happiness and riches
Today, Tomorrow and Beyond.

Two butterflies at the same time must mean double luck, mustn’t it??

CIMG3252

Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae)

CIMG3261

Red Admiral (Vanessa Atalanta)

3 comments:

  1. our butterflies like my husband, they do not land on me, but have sat on his head, shoulder and back and it always amazes us. last week we watched in total glee as not 1 or 2 but 3 flew in perfect synchronization over and under and around our pool and flowers. we have seen 2 do this dance but never 3, flying flowers is what we call them. hope it is double luck for you, they are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue edging on the Tortoiseshell and the tiny bit of blue at the bottom of the Red Admiral! These are just wonderful pictures, and I have been scrolling and looking for quite a while now. The two you got together almost look like mommy and baby, but I know that can't be!! All butterflies are full grown. Next time you go, wear bright red or blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope so everyone needs luck.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands