Monday, 5 September 2011

Mosaic Monday: Butterfly Invasion

Butterfly Park 110904

The collage above may seem exaggerated, but actually it represents ‘the truth’ better than any of the individual pictures:

 

CIMG3343

In my ‘Butterfly Park’ yesterday, there must have been at least around 70-80 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies fluttering around. (Perhaps even more. Not an easy task to count them!)

CIMG3373

Their most popular landing places were these blue flowers, which also provide excellent camouflage for these beautiful creatures.

CIMG3370

I’ve never seen so many butterflies at the same time. ‘Someone’ must have been busy laying eggs in the neighbourhood of park earlier in the spring/ summer…!

CIMG3356

The caterpillars feed on stinging nettles. I suppose there may be a good supply of those along the railway close by. From Wikipedia I also learn that how many survive to be butterflies may often depend on the status of the common wasp in a particular season, since the wasp is known to feed on the Tortoiseshell's pupae.

CIMG3385

Come to think of it, I’ve hardly seen any wasps at all around this August! - Good! - I much prefer the butterflies! :)

See more Monday Mosaics at Mary’s Little Red House.

7 comments:

  1. what an awesome event! can't even imagine how you felt, they are so beautiful and blend right in with the flowers like flowers themselves. they must have been born at the same time. amazing to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the butterflies too! How incredible to see so many in one location!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to see all those beautiful butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!
    We have many of them here too, but the last days they have left....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I much prefer butterflies to wasps too! Quite wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is awesome. I Have never seen anything like that before.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands