Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Advent Calendar – Tuesday 6th December 2011

6_CIMG5946-1 wisdom

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling,
but of the life-long attempt to acquire it.”

~ Albert Einstein ~

 

This post will be linked to Ruby Tuesday at Work of the Poet.

 

~~~ ♥ ♥ ♥ ~~~

 

In some European  countries (not in Sweden though), 6th December  is celebrated as St Nicholas Day.

Saint Nicholas , also called Nikolaus the Wonderworker, was a historic 4th-century Greek Bishop of Myra (=Demre in modern-day Turkey). He had a reputation for secret gift-giving, such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him, and thus became the model for Santa Claus.  (Read more in Wikipedia) 

8 comments:

  1. Great quote - ever so true. I just gave your blog an award. Please collect it at http://suzysomedaysomewhere.blogspot.com/2011/12/gbe2-truth.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This St. Nick is very cool, he is unlike the ones we have here. I love your guardian angel quote below!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have always liked Saint Nicolas even more than Santa Claus, i have a 2 foot one that i love and did not put out this year, now i am going to dig it out of the closet and set him out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it is a very interesting story about the model of Santa Claus. I love this story!! I imagine he must have looked like the doll in your photo, compassionate and merciful. Einstein’s words are so true and moving.
    Best wishes,
    keiko

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if wisdom is often acquired without any particular attempt on our part. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say you may be right, in one sense. On the other hand, I do think a desire to learn from whatever comes in our way must be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may be semantic but I wonder if it is not necessarily a desire to learn but a willingness not to close our minds - a more passive approach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might say that wisdom cannot be taught but it can be learned. But that may just be semantics too; and you may well be wiser than me ♥

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands