Friday, 7 December 2012

Friday 7 December – Bear Buddies By Mail

Thailand

Thailand

Artist: Morakot Ketklao

Thailand

"Air Mail Bear" is a medium that tells different stories of Thailand by letter. The letters are wrote in Thai Alphabet. My Buddy Bear is a presentation of the relationship between people in this world and Thailand.

Morakot Ketklao

 

The Air Mail Bear was one of my immediate favourites in the exhibition. It made me think of all the penfriends I’ve had through life, ever since I was first able to write a primitive letter in English. Long before the internet, I had penfriends in England, the United States, Canada, Japan, Spain, Germany (East and West), France, Austria, Switzerland, Australia… and a few more countries.

I also know a Swedish couple living in Thailand… They came to mind too when I saw this bear; not only because they live in that country now, but also because they are so good at keeping friends updated with their lives “by (e)mail” – and nowadays Facebook. I don’t know anyone who makes better use of Facebook – and then I’m not just talking about the fact that they have like 800 friends!

The means of communication have certainly changed a lot since they first went to live in Asia in the mid 1990s.

 

Here are some more buddy bears that celebrate the importance of language and written communication:

Bulgarien

 Bulgaria

Artist: Klio Karadim

Bulgarien

Black - White letters

- condensed memories

Written over centuries

- alive today.

Red - Green experiences.

Stacked by people,

created by nature.

Unforgettable moments

- of a childhood.

Bulgaria

Klio Karadim

 

Venezuela

Venezuela

Artist: Carlos Manrique

Venezuela

“Experiences from the past and hopes for the future form human beings. Common experiences and common hopes unite them into a nation. People of a nation can name their lived experiences. Their creative, yet to be lived hopes are shown by Carlos Manrique through signs and music notes.”

 

Luxemburg

Luxembourg

Artist: Iva Mrazkova

Luxemburg

(I love the @ nose!)

Luxembourg is a small country in the centre of Europe (~450,000 inhabitants). In spite of its size the country is a real melting pot of different languages and cultures.

For daily life you need at least 3-4 different languages.

This is also the theme for my bear, the symbolism of creation: script as a means of communication and at the same time a process of decorative creation through the aesthetics of their own script.

Iva Mrazkova

 

I’ll be linking this post to Friday My Town Shoot Out…
(Theme of the week: “Introduce a friend”)

 

9 comments:

  1. my favorite of all the bears you have posted so far, is the first one today. i love the writing on the top and the bear rising up out of the envelope.. i like all the ones with writing on them, 2 fav is the Bulgaria... I really like both of those. my least favorite is the last one. just not as appealing to me. but that is personal taste. for one thing i love black and white... the writing on all of these appeals to me. these artist are truly talented. i am trying to think what i would paint on one if i could paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures and the artists who put these things up. More and more I think that Sweden must be a really great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these, what a cool idea!!My favorite is the last one, Luxembourg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is amazing. I cannot pick a favorite cause I like them all.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky you are to have found such lovely friends! My favourite is Bulgaria - very stylish - and the words under it. Wonderful application of the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great art concept - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful pieces of art. How lucky you are to have them in your corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that the celebration of communication is a splendid theme: these communicate the importance of the written word in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands