Tuesday, 11 December 2012

(Ruby) Tuesday 11 December – Red Bears

Singapore

 Singapore

Singapore Location Map

Artist: Jacqueline Harliman
* 30 October 1992, in Singapore
Student of Raffles Design Institute in Singapore

Singapore is a very unique country to me, it has a diverse population of Chinese, Malays, Indians and Asians. In this multi-cultural country, the people mantain an environmentally-friendly lifestyle. Therefore, I applied patterns of flowers on the buddy bear body. I used orchid as the main flower on the body and the head since Singapore’s national flower is the orchid. For hands and legs of the buddy bear, I applied henna tattoo (Indian) and lotus flower (Chinese) as the intersection body part between the main body and legs/hands. I used vibrant colors for my design to represent that Singapore is a modern country, vivid colors of the cityscapes and there are a lot of beautiful natural sceneries. I mixed this modern and the natural feeling (colors and patterns) to my design.

 

Schweiz

Switzerland

Location of  Switzerland  (green)in Europe  (dark grey)  —  [Legend]

Artist: Herbert Buchs
(Not the same artist or bear as on the BB homepage)

 

Vietnam

Vietnam

Location of  Vietnam  (green)in ASEAN  (dark grey)  —  [Legend]

It’s not the same bear as on the BB homepage. I think it may be the same artist – Thanh Dung Matzke – I’m not sure because I did not catch the whole sign at the bottom in my photo. But Thanh Dung said about the other bear she painted: “Who isn't capable of love, lost the will to live.” And that seems to fit this one as well.

 

Ruby Tuesday and Our World Tuesday

10 comments:

  1. i knew the first one was Asian before i got to the name of the country, the Swiss one i would not have guessed, i like it, it is attractive, but i am not getting the why of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photography ~ love the Bears ~ great post ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're so delightful I can bare-ly stand it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you are telling us the artist's reasons! And I kind of guessed the first one. Well, I thought of Bali, which is really something else now and may be a bit like Singapore. Or not. Have I confused you enough? Of course my favorite is the first one, and everything on it makes perfect sense!!!! The last two are the only ones I have seen that I do not like that much. Carry ON, what fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun collection of characters! Dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Singaporean bear and the explanation are very meaningful but I cannot understand the Swiss one at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to agree with you, Graham. The only thing I can think of with the Swiss bear is the colours of the flag, and the white lines sort of reminding of snow, but I'd have loved to know the artist's own thoughts.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands