Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Ruby Tuesday: The Red Thread

DSCN1453-1

Except for the occasional red building, there is not a whole lot of red to be found outside this time of year. But on one of my walks recently my eyes fell on this colourful sign. GARN is the Swedish word for YARN, and the arrows are pointing towards a yarn shop.

♥ ♥ ♥

In Greek mythology, Theseus rescued himself out of the labyrinth of Minotaur by following a red thread, given to him by Ariadne.

In an East Asian myth, the gods tie an invisible red thread around the ankles of men and women who are destined to be soul mates and will one day marry each other. The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of time, place or circumstances.

Source: Wikipedia

♥ ♥ ♥

For Ruby Tuesday

8 comments:

  1. Monica, I have learned so many cool things here today! I love the romantic red thread story. And I do adore that pretty sign in front of the partially frozen water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the mystique of red thread... who knew it could be so mysteriously meaningful!?

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the sign is way cool! love it. so pretty hanging there in the snow. I noticed you did what i just did to my header, just went with words. i hope they get the header fixed soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting about the "red thread." I have to agree with you that red is hard to find this time of year...but hey! You DID! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours of the sign looks so radiant in that snowy world! Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The red thread story is so interesting...and being an avid knitter, I really appreciate the little sign. The ice on the lake and the snow on the trees and ground make for a gorgeous shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sign. love the red thread story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands