Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Watery Wednesday: Frozen Fog

DSCN1643-1 DSCN1625-1

DSCN1642-1

DSCN1636-1

DSCN1641-1

DSCN1647-1   DSCN1658-1

At the beginning of this week I found my world covered by a layer of white which I was not sure whether to call snow or frost. When I posted some macro shots at my other blog Beyond the Lone Islands, one blogging friend remarked in a comment that “frozen fog looks like this”. I think she may be right, because the days we could enjoy these icy snow crystals were also quite foggy!

The photos chosen for today’s post were all taken down by the river. Not too obvious perhaps, but it is there in the background! In case someone should not find the frozen fog quite “watery” enough for…

Watery Wednesday # 124

 

 

8 comments:

  1. fog and fringe, all in one shot. you did it again. these are great. and i realy really like the header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hoar frost and absolutely magnificent. To avoid sycophancy the third shot is too narrow in field depth. I really envy you your winters. We had six weeks. Now damp and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I looked up hoar frost:
    (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) a deposit of needle-like ice crystals formed on the ground by direct condensation at temperatures below freezing point

    I'm familiar with the Swedish word for it - rimfrost - I've just never seen it as thick as this so was not sure if this would still go by the same name.

    Alas it did not last more that 1½ day or so; January has been a roller coaster ride between frost/snow/ice and thaw so far.

    As for the third shot that was meant to be a macro shot and I know that as such it was not successful... but I decided to include it anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, I KNEW it!!! Amazing! We had frozen fog last year, though nothing like this!! Anyway, I posted a picture of it from the web that looks just like this, and in researching, all the pictures look like what you are showing!!! Oh, this is so SPECIAL!! I think it may be rare? I can't remember. I never heard of it till last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I've never heard of frozen fog. I would think it is the same. Isn't it just a matter of whether it comes from clouds on the ground or in the sky? :-D Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These images are so beautiful, trees, snow, icicles, hoar frost, just looking at them makes me feel cooler ... :)

    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great hoar frost!!! I posted hoar frost also Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)

Welcome to also visit my main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands